Summer Holiday Child Arrangements Order


Summer Holiday Child Arrangements Order

Summer Holiday Child Arrangements Order

With the Summer holidays not far away, have you thought about the legal implications of taking your child abroad or agreeing holiday contact arrangements?  It is important to get a summer holiday child arrangements order in place early.

Taking Your Child Away on Holiday if You Are Separated

If you want to take your child on holiday outside of England or Wales, you must have the agreement of anyone who has Parental Responsibility for the child. Parental Responsibility is usually automatic for a mother. For a father, parental responsibility usually occurs if they are on the birth certificate for the child or married to the mother. If you cannot get their agreement, you will need to obtain a court order. Without agreement or a court order it may be considered child abduction.

You should talk about any holiday plans with the other parent. If they don’t consent and have not provided you with a sensible reason, then we can help you.

Child Arrangements Order

If you have a Child Arrangements Order detailing where a child should live (previously called a Residence Order) in your favour, you can take your child out of the UK for up to 28 days without the need for consent. However, it is best you notify the other parent of your intentions.

Relocating Abroad With Your Child

If you are looking to move abroad with your child you must obtain agreement from the other parent. Even if they don’t have Parental Responsibility there should be discussions. This is so new contact arrangements can be planned for and made and it can stop any late attempts to prevent your intended move.

Holiday Contact Arrangements

During the summer holidays, separated parents quite often wish to vary the existing regular contact arrangements. It is good to discuss your plans early so that if there are any disagreements, these can be smoothed out before the summer holidays arrive.

As when dealing with all issues relating to children, it is vital that they are kept in mind when making any arrangements, and they often appreciate knowing in advance what their long holidays are going to bring.

Let us help

If you need further advice on child contact arrangements, taking your child abroad or relocating abroad with your child, contact Bookers & Bolton on 01420 82881/88903 or email our Head of Family, Hannah Anderson at

You can download our free guide to Child Arrangement Orders by clicking here.